Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What is the right age for Cosmetic Surgery?

I am writing a paper on cosmetic surgery during the teenage years and I wanted to see what other people thought about the issues.


When do you think its appropriate (age) to have the operation?


Would you every have cosmetic surgery done and if so what would you do?


Do you think girls as young as 14 should be having cosmetic surgery?What is the right age for Cosmetic Surgery?
No, I do not think it is appropriate for a 14 year old girl to go through cosmetic surgery.





Unless of course she has suffered a devastating scarring accident or other injury (perhaps at birth) and has the means to have it corrected at this time.





The reason is it, I don't believe the shock of the pain is worth it to a teen vs the gain at this age. And the tendancy to get addicted to pain relieving drugs is too high to risk it.





If the teen can overcome the surgery without getting hooked on drugs can withstand the shock - then I'm all for it, and I wish them well. But, I'm concerned for the ones that will become a victim of the surgery itself. Using it to get drugs, and to correct for problems in their lives when they thought that appearance was the cause for the problem, when it wasn't.What is the right age for Cosmetic Surgery?
lets just get one thing straight, reconstructive surgery is not the same as cosmetic surgery. Reconstructive surgery repairs damage done by an accident or a congenital defect. You could also include girls getting breast reductions for very large breasts that cause back pain. These are medically necessary procedures.


Cosmetic surgery is getting breast enlargement, nose jobs, etc. It is simply vanity surgery. A nose job could be done at a younger age if it was causing psychological problems (child getting severly teased, low self esteem, etc) but other than cases like that cosmetic surgery should not be done until at least the age of 18, but I wouldn't recommend it until much later.
40
It is an individual decision, and must be treated as such.





There are physiologic reasons why some procedures are done earlier and some later. We do otoplasties (';ear pinning';) on young children, and that is strictly cosmetic. They do very well, and don't have to go through 12 years of school being teased and developing neuroses because of other children's unkind remarks.





There are some procedures that I think are completely inappropriate for minors - breast augmentation is the most obvious. (Unless it is to correct a congenital deformity, like tubular/tuberous breasts - there's a picture on this site: http://www.hermosaplasticsurgery.com/mig鈥?/a>





The younger patients I have seen have had some pretty horrendous deformities, and have been among the most grateful for their surgeries. We don't do many cosmetic procedures on kids, though.





Some teenagers are able to handle surgery well. Heck, we yank out their wisdom teeth without thinking twice at that age. Others, not so much.





I have had cosmetic surgery (reduction mammaplasty) which was medically indicated. I would LOVE an abdominoplasty, but can't take the time off work, and the husband isn't thrilled with the idea of a large scar. Of course, I'm old :)





That's my $0.02
I really don't feel all the cosmetic surgery stuff. I believe teenagers need to be more in tune with their abilities as opposed to their looks. In this superficial society... we have kids feeling their appearance is inferior from an early age. When 15 year olds begin wanting to get bigger breasts and nose jobs.... that's crazy. There was none of these scemes out back in the day and we all made it just fine. I don't believe anyone should be allowed to do this until about age 25. By that time you have an idea if the problem is life altering or if they can adapt to it and move on. Sometimes defects are devastating and sometimes it is in the mind of the person and just ain't that serious.


I would have it done. The thing is... I am 46. I know what I want. I know the consequences and repercussions behing having it. I am an adult. A teenager cannot think in the capacity of an adult. We know that by some of the bad decisions they make when it comes to life in general.


I would have a tummy tuck because I have a 'pudge ' that I am too lazy to get rid of. Actually I need motivation. I'd consider breasts because mine are small and I believe I would have better choices of clothing and fit if I did. That would be it.


I saw a woman on Oprah who have her body cut up so much she looked like a duck about the face. She had began obsessing on it and had about 235 surgeries. Imagine that. Does she even have a body left to work with. So you see... altering your body is not always as glamorous as people would like to think.
you dont want to have cosmetic surgery until youre 18-21. Your body at your age is changing and growing if you change something now, like a nose job or breast implants ect, by the time youre 21 you might look way different than you expected
I think that would sort of depend on when puberty began and ended for the individual. Currently, there are far too many teenagers seeking plastic surgery for purely superficial reasons, especially girls seeking implants. Many of these girls haven't even finished maturing yet, and thus, have no idea what they could be doing to their own development! If an individual needed a reconstructive procedure, I don't think there should be any significant age limit, but for purely cosmetic reasons, surgery should be restricted to at least 18 years, if not 21. Personally, I didn't even know what could happen to my body until I had kids!!! Now, a set of twins later, I can understand the desire to have one's body ';put back to normal';, but I'm not sure that I would ever do it for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin moles